Friday, July 20, 2007

Three months out!

We are exactly three months away from our wedding. And we actually got something major accomplished today - the rehearsal dinner which I've been so unmotivated about :)

I've been emailing back and forth with a lady who works for a local barbecue restaurant (Sonny Bryan's). Their catering menu is neat because they also offer fajitas, which we figured would be different enough from what we are serving at the wedding to not bore people with the same food two nights in a row.

The lady I've been talking to followed up with me yesterday to ask if I'd gotten the stuff she'd sent me and if I'd like a personal price quote. I told her that Jason and I wanted to go in and eat there before we made any decisions. She told me she would set us up with free lunch whenever we wanted, which I thought was very generous.

As luck would have it, today I wind up getting off work 4 hours early, right around lunch time. I called Jason to see if he wanted to go to a different place (Dickey's barbecue) and he suggested we go to Sonny Bryan's. So I called Adrienne and she called the SB closest to us and told them to take care of us.

Boy did they! When we got there, this really nice guy helped us figure things out. I was all set to order a barbecue baked potato, but he made an even better suggestion. Since whatever we wanted was free, he said we should each get a three meat plate with different things, so we could try a little of everything. So today Jason and I sampled the following menu:

Pulled pork
Chicken on the bone
Pork ribs
Beef brisket
Roasted turkey
Ham
Green bean casserole
Barbecue beans
French fries
Macaroni and cheese
Hot dinner rolls

It was so much food we came home with a to-go plate big enough to make a whole extra meal! To top it off, we also got free drinks, and they even sent us home with apple and cherry cobblers!!

I am so glad we went for the variety. We were able to try everything and make a decision based on all 20 people that will be in attendance that night.

Here is the final menu we are looking at:
Pulled pork
Pulled chicken
Beef brisket
Mac and cheese
Barbecue beans
Potato salad
Dinner rolls
Tea, lemonade, water
Chocolate chip cookies

What's great about this is that they drop everything off and set it up buffet style. The food comes in those big aluminum pans, so whatever is left over can be easily taken home. All the plates, cups, napkins, silverware, and even sweeteners for the tea are included! In addition, they are also going to bring buns in case anyone wants to make a sandwich.

Now we just have to present this to Jason's parents for the final approval. I'm sure they'll say yes because not only do they know how bothersome this has been for me, they agree that there aren't a whole lot of options around here to do something otherwise. Jason and I need to make an appointment to see the house that we are holding the rehearsal dinner at, but barring any complications we should be all ready to go!

Thank God this ordeal is almost over... and yay for only three more months!!!

No comments: