Saturday, July 7, 2007

Hot Chocolates

I spoke with my bakery the other day regarding a discrepancy between the price I was quoted for my wedding cake and the prices listed on their website. The response I got back was very interesting.

While the price-per-slice ($2.50) is very reasonable, especially considering what a big metro area we are in, if I did nothing to change the cake but opted to do it satellite style instead (where the tiers are not directly stacked on top of each other) they said they would give me the prices listed on their website, which is their pricing for birthday cakes.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one. For the same amount of cake, icing and decorations, simply isolating each tier suddenly makes a $164 difference? I kind of find that a little aggravating - just because it's a "wedding" cake means they can charge me more? But if I rearrange it and call it a "birthday" cake it gets cheaper? A rose by any other name is just as sweet, right?

So now I'm at a loss for what to do. Do I suck it up and pay the higher price so I can get the traditional-looking cake, or do I err on the side of saving money, since after all it's just cake and will be gone just as fast as it was made? I asked them to send me some pictures of how they would set the unstacked ones up, so when I get them I'll pass them on here. What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?








or

















or






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl! It SHOULD NOT cost you more to NOT have the cakes stacked. On the contrary, it should be much cheaper to not have them stacked. So the first picture should be the most expensive, and the 2nd would be the 2nd most expensive, and the 3rd should be least expensive. The only reason I can think of that they would charge your more for the 3rd (or 2nd) option would be because you have to pay a deposit for the stand. But even at that, it should just be a deposit. I'd stand my ground if I were you.