Thursday, July 19, 2007

The little things

I've been looking for some more ways to customize our reception. Sadly, we don't have the budget to do a fireworks display as we leave or to hire the cast of Cirque du Soleil to perform during dinner (though how AWESOME would that be?!?!)

The things I have in mind are on a much smaller scale, but I know that oftentimes the most personal things have little to no monetary value at all.

Last night I was talking a few friends about what they think of when they think of me (or what makes them think of me when they see it) and I came up with a fairly simple idea.

Using a template I found on About.com, I came up with personalized candy bar wrappers!

Now, I know that there are dozens of sites online that will make, print and ship these to me, but I really think paying over $1.50 apiece for a project this simple is silly. So I copied the template into Powerpoint, played around with fonts and colors, "borrowed" a bar code image from Google images, and voila! (As always, click to enlarge.)













The original template was a little different, so I covered up what I didn't want by making a box, then making both the fill and line colors white. The biggest secret was ordering everything from front to back so nothing peeked out that I didn't want showing. I even made up my own serial number (5 points to anyone who figures it out - besides Jason!)

Now I just have to decide if I want to use my toner or take the file to Kinko's to color copy. Then I will cut them out (they fit perfectly two to a page with a little margin altering) and tape them together. Easy, no?

[I am still looking other easy ways to personalize, so quiz time: what are the things that make you think of me, or, what do I make you think of?]

1 comment:

JustinandKitara said...

I think I know what the barcode is! It's the date you started dating and then your wedding date! The candy bar wrappers are very cute!