Friday, June 1, 2007

Opposites attract

I just sent my sister a list of the women who are most important in my life. You know, the ones that I've deemed worthy of getting drunk with us while sending me into marriagedom. Let's just say I don't need even to take my socks off to count the number of girls on that list.








I know they say opposites attract, but isn't that supposed to just pertain to chemistry/romantic endeavors? Or does that hold true for all relationships regardless of their intimacy level? I guess I've always had more guy friends. Well, I've never been able to keep girlfriends is more like it. I think back to my "best friends" in my younger days and am sad to think of how many of them I've drifted far from. A lot of it was my fault. For some of them, I can name specific incidents that caused the rift that never got fully patched again. Sure, I'm still friends with all of these ladies, but I don't think we will ever be as close as we were then. If I ran into them in public we could talk and "catch up" but then what? No exchanging of new phone numbers, no future plans made (save for the vague mentioning of the fact we should get together some time) and then maybe a hasty online message via Facebook.

I wonder why it's so hard for me to befriend women and keep them close. It seems like someone always fails the relationship. When I was 8, it was my best friend who had moved away after living next door to me for years. She was coming to my birthday party and I hadn't seen her in some time. I was beside myself, looking out the window all the time, asking my mom when she would be there. I put my other friends on the back burner waiting for her to show. And she never did. And there was no phone call to say she wasn't coming. All I know is that I think my mom finally called her mom to see what traumatic event had caused her to not only not show, but not even bother to call. I believe the lame response had to do with which parent had custody of her that weekend. Or something equally pathetic. Maybe that was the first time I learned not to let myself get too close to a girlfriend if I didn't want to get hurt.










It goes on from there. Several altercations at various birthday parties, fighting on the school bus, name calling, preteen awkwardness and sensitive little girls all somehow made it clear that girls carry too much baggage. Even today, I love my female friends, but can only handle them alone in small doses. Even my sister, who is my best friend in the world, can get on my nerves pretty easily. Maybe there's some underlying competition going on. Who knows.









So my bachelorette party won't require the renting of a party bus or an entire floor of a hotel. But I like it that way. A handful of close friends is better than two dozen acquaintances that I might not even be friends with a year from now. My little baby sister will be the only one not legally able to drink, so we will either have to find a good 18+ club, or create Club Bride at home.











It's up to my wonderful girls, and I know whatever we do will be special no matter what.

No comments: