Friday, June 22, 2007

Guilty parties

My wonderful ladies have been coming to me with some neat ideas lately for my shower and my bachelorette party. Someone suggested a lingerie party, which is great because I could definitely use some, but on the other hand, I think my personal supply is limited because I'm so picky, and so oddly shaped. It's true that you become way less active after college. While I am in the process of trying to remedy that before October, I'm still in that awkward limbo zone.

One of the things I've read about lately and thought would be a neat idea is a honeymoon shower. Especially since I think we're doing a couples shower instead of ladies-only, it's not fair that most of the things we would get would be cutesy, girly things.

A honeymoon shower is also the perfect place to mention a honeymoon registry, too. I've seen testimonials of many a couple who could not have gone where they did and done what they did without the help of cash, cleverly disguised in a honeymoon registry.

While I know it's taboo to solicit gifts, because it's really all about the family and friends celebrating together, those who do want to mention something about gifts are faced with the difficulty of being tasteful about it. I came across this poem the other day, written by the bride's sister, explaining the honeymoon registry concept, and smoothly linking to the couple's own. The way it was worded, I don't think anyone would be offended.

From http://www.thebigday.com/help/KarenGenePoem.asp

It reads:

"Karen and Gene are planning to tie the knot,
off to Maui they'll go, but invited we're not.
The couple's sunset nuptials will come true
On Saturday, the 26th of October, 2002.

Per their request, no parties or showers and that's no lie,
but Karen's big sister, Debbie, would not comply.
Let's join together and send them on a honeymoon to remember,
a Bon-Voyage party by Email with gifts for both genders.

TheBigDay.com is where the registry can be found,
log on to the website and take a look around.
Our collective contributions will add to their fun,
or simply give them an extra day in the sun.

Our assistance will help with their flight or rental car,
kayaking, windsurfing, or drinks at the bar.
Champagne breakfast, a luau, or beach bar-b-que,
or an evening dinner cruise with a sunset view.

Since we won't be in attendance we can all be a part
Karen and Gene
will appreciate our thoughtful gifts from the heart."


Very cute, and it gets the point across. I think once people realize everything costs money on a trip, they'll be more willing to help out. I love how the sister threw in actual things they can do with the money, instead of just saying it'll help them a lot.

I really think it's a cute idea. It would be a neat way to get some of the things that we need anyway (like sturdy luggage, good beach towels, stuff to do the days we are at sea, maybe a pineapple slicer?) but it will help us out beforehand (getting luggage as a wedding gift we will open after we return doesn't really help us!)

As for the lingerie theme, I think we will save that one for the bachelorette party. The difficulty in planning that one is that my sister isn't old enough to drink, so we can't really barhop, which is fine by me, since I'm more of a dedicated bar girl than a hopper. What we can do is go to a nice dinner and have drinks there, then go home and do the lingerie/pajama/girly stuff in the privacy of our own home. Of course, we can all drink there, too, without worrying about being carded. I'm trying to think of what else people do at bachelorette parties that don't involve strip clubs or entire nights at bars. I'm open to suggestions, people!

No comments: