Sunday, April 29, 2007

Wedding cake take two

Today we went to our second cake tasting. This bakery has an open house the last weekend of every month where they make 20 of their most popular (most basic?) cakes and couples can "come and go" for a taste. There were also several employees on hand to sit down and talk to us about our visions.

So between the 8 groom's cakes and the 12 bride's cakes, I think we sampled 6 or so. I knew I didn't want any type of fruit filling, and I'm not a big fan of liquer or beer in my cake (especially for something as classy as a wedding!) so it ruled out many of them. Plus, I'm pretty simple when it comes to things like that, especially since I'm such a picky eater ;)

After having cake and punch, we kind of sat around waiting for someone to be free to talk to us. We finally got some attention and proceeded to discuss all the things we wanted in a wedding and groom's cake. Then I had Jason step out of the room to discuss the surprise elements of his cake that I wanted to add. When they told me they couldn't do it, I was a little shocked (I think it was because at bakery #1 they didn't even question if they had the ability to do it, but said of course they could.)

We were the last ones there and they made me a plate of leftover cake to take home with me, which was great! I had some tonight and will have some for breakfast or something.

When we got home, I crunched some numbers. Given the fact that bakery #2 was charging me a $75 delivery fee (that's three tanks of gas for my car!) and that they couldn't do the extra I was hoping they could but they were STILL more expensive than bakery #1, it looks as though we have ruled them out. The cake was good, but nothing special. All the books they had of cake ideas were not actual cakes they had done, but magazine tear-outs, which made me leary of what their real abilities are.

I'm still hoping to find a bakery that has good stuff for cheaper than bakery #1, because I don't know if I'm ok shelling out $500+ for CAKE!

Anyone here got mad baking skills?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hiya and welcome kandaceandjason.blogspot.com owner discovered your website via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://mass-backlinks.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic at this website http://mass-backlinks.com