Friday, May 11, 2007

I lied...

We aren't doing cake stuff this weekend. Not unless you count designing a cake for Jason's mom's surprise party next weekend. And even that is stretching it, because I'm going to have them decorate her cake to match the invitations we sent out :)

What I did do, however, was scope out Craigslist to see if I could find an affordable videographer in the area. By affordable, I mean next to free. In Jason's mind, he's generously budgeting a whopping $100. In reality, we'd be lucky to get an hour of someon'es time for that much. It's one of those things that's a pretty divided issue on Weddingbee whether they're worth it or not, and it's something I keep flip flopping on.

On the one hand, I've read about a lot of previous brides who say the day just flew by and it would be nice to have the video to go back and actually WATCH what happened, instead of remembering a big whirl of events and sights and sounds. Sure, professional photography is nice, but still film can't capture the way Jason's voice cracks during the vows, or how drunk Aunt Ida hits on all the teenage boys (note: for the record, Jason has long since reached puberty, and I don't have an Aunt Ida that I know of)

On the other hand, most of the pricing I've seen is in the thousands, or in the upper hundreds for JUST the ceremony (and our ceremony should only be about 25 minutes, so that seems a bit much, no?) I know there's some editing involved, but it can't be that hard to stand still for half an hour while we say we do and lock lips in matrimony.

I'm not looking for fancy editing. I'm not looking for interviews with every guest. I'm not even looking for more than just the highlights (do I really need to watch two hours of the dance floor?) All I'm looking for are the important things - the ceremony obviously, our first dance, dancing with my daddy, Jason and his mommy, cutting the cake and tossing our respective baubbles, and the gathering of family and friends as they wave goodbye to us on our way to [somewhere, not sure yet, maybe a hotel, maybe just home.]

Why does this have to be so freakin expensive?!

1 comment:

SuziAndRicardo said...

Hey girl, Sorry I dropped off the blog for a while! How is the interview stuff going? About the videographer... one of my good friends from work, her hubby does stuff lke that on the side (he plays in a band and does sound engineering too). He has traveled to Houston before for work, and if Ricardo and I are already going to your wedding, my friend & her hubby can just tag along with us and maybe film it. I will talk to her today and let you know. Everyone needs to get out of Lubbock sometime :o)